Coffee Cheek Wants A Good Cup

I have decided to spend the next year of my life documenting my journey of coffee discovery. Everyday I will brew a cup of coffee, hoping to come closer to perfection. And, I'll be telling you all about it. Seriously, I'm not boring.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Really, I need a new hobby...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mocha Java

Last night, after my power yoga class, I stopped by The Coffee Bean And Tea Leaf to pick up some new grinds. Currently, I have to have the coffee ground for me, as I don't have a coffee grinder yet. I read that grinding the coffee yourself at home before you make each pot makes a better cup of coffee, but so far, I haven't tasted anything bad from my cups. I usually make about 15 oz of coffee and I just started using bottled water. Expensive... but the coffee is actually tasting pretty good. But let me tell you about my experience with The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

I walked in, sweaty and in my short-shorts, and asked the curly-haired 19-year-old at the counter for a half-pound of Mocha Java ground medium grind. For a drip coffee maker. The grinds influence a lot the taste of your cup. Too fine of grinds will produce bitter coffee and too coarse of grinds will make your coffee weak. I haven't really learned the difference yet but when Starbucks ground me 1/2lbs of Italian Roast, the coffee was so bitter it was hardly palatable. But I drank it because I didn't know the difference. Anyway, the young gent at the counter seemed to know what he was doing. Seemed. He asked me what kind of filters I used then informed me to pick my coffee from the rack. I then began to be a little suspicious as I thought my beans would be scooped for me, rather than me picking them out from the color of their bag as if I were at Stater Bros. or something. I then order my Iced Blended Lemon Zest, since I can't tolerate caffine after noon (some coffeesta I am!) and handed him my bag of Mocha Java, asking, once again, for a half-pound ground. This is where communication broke down...

Him: Are you buying the whole bag?

Me: I would like a half-pound ground.

Him: But are you buying the whole bag?

Me: I would like a half-pound ground.

Him: So you are buying this whole bag?

Me: I would like a half-pound ground.

I'm getting a little irritated, since I am dehydrated from my yoga class and would just like my grinds. I then ask if they sold beans at all or do I need to go to Starbucks. The kid pursed his lips and did a well-concealed eye roll. The manager comes up and says, "Yes, we sell beans." I wish I got a ma'am with that.



I get my grinds and am now experiencing the boldness of Mocha Java. Eh, tastes like every other cup to me. Mocha Java is a blend of Ethiopian and Java coffees. Ethiopian and Java are the oldest types of coffee you can get. They are like the granddaddy of coffee. If coffee were a New York socialite, coffee from Java and Ethiopia would be the old lady with the family diamonds who comes to the dinner party on the Upper East Side 2 hours late and just sits there at the head of the table, while the young-un's dish saucy and continue the tradition of snobbery. Well, I have half a pound of my rich and smooth Mocha Java, which compared to other coffees is meant to be full-bodied (I understand the body of coffee to be how thick it feels in your mouth), bright flavored, with a floral aroma. I'm sure I'll be able to experience all that once I get over my fear of coffee black and give up my International Delights. I should give up cream. I'm trying to be a vegan anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counters