Coffee Cheek Wants A Good Cup

I have decided to spend the next year of my life documenting my journey of coffee discovery. Everyday I will brew a cup of coffee, hoping to come closer to perfection. And, I'll be telling you all about it. Seriously, I'm not boring.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Really, I need a new hobby...

Thursday, June 22, 2006

A fine cup of coffee

Can it have been a week and a half since I posted? Bad, blogger! Bad, blogger! While I should be telling you the intricate details of my latest cup, I've been shying away from Coffee Cheek, dissapointed that my last post got deleted, losing all of my well-thought out writing. Research is hard and I don't like doing it?

Why am I doing this experiment again?

In my last post, I complained the the Nicaragua Segovia was a raunchy cup, leaving a dried leaf aftertaste and too many acid notes. Since I had a pound of the stuff, I kept on drinking, too thrifty to buy new beans. Mother likes the Nicaragua Segovia but interrogating her as to why leaves her furrowed, confused as to why I even care. Mother's opinion is very important to me. It is why I am 25-years-old and don't have a credit card.

With my new beans and new grinder, I haven't been focusing so much on the bean but finding a meathod to the maddness of brewing. The Toastmaster grinder is a bit frustrating, but I'm please I got it so cheaply, as equivalent grinders cost twice as much. That's internet shopping for you. The Toastmaster grinder grinds an uneven amount, producing very find grounds at the bottom and medium coarse grounds on the top. Also, I never know how much bean to grind to make my cups, always grinding too much or too little. Scooping the grinds from my grinder spills them all over the counter, annoying Father, since he hates coffee. He drank instant coffee while getting his master's degree and has negative associations, mainly of late night studying and failing the GRE several times before finally passing. But, I think I have it down. I like to brew about 16.9 oz of coffee, the amount in a Dasani water bottle. I scoop out 6 tables spoons of grind, giving me a cup that is perfect for me. I like my cup a little on the strong side. So every morning, I've been practicing the dance of grinding beans, scooping the grinds, filling the water bottle and brewing coffee. Habit makes perfect and I have a pretty fine cup, even though it's of funky coffee.

I got rid of my International Delight. I agreed with Mother that flavored creamer took away from the taste of the coffee and true coffee drinkers drank it black or with half-and-half. My International Delights gave the right amount of cream and sweetness to the coffee but, Mom is right, it has to go. I compromised with Coffee-Mate instead, but what's the point? Now I am creaming and sugaring my coffee. Weird, but the Nicaragua Segovia tastes better with out flavored creamer.

I am becoming more and more a coffee drinker. I drink coffee not only for the flavor, but to wake me up in the morning, keep my bowels regular (and I have probs with my bowels working right because of my brain-tumor. Oops! I didn't tell you about that, did I?) and to suppress my appetite, because since I work from home, I have the tendency to eat all day out of boredom. I'm headachy and grouchy with out it and wired with it.

I am a true coffee drinker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counters