Coffee Cheek Wants A Good Cup

I have decided to spend the next year of my life documenting my journey of coffee discovery. Everyday I will brew a cup of coffee, hoping to come closer to perfection. And, I'll be telling you all about it. Seriously, I'm not boring.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California

Really, I need a new hobby...

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sadly neglected... out of guilt (Guatamala Estate)

I am ashamed. I have committed the biggest blogging sin in not blogging often enough. Some bloggers can get away with a post a month, so long as their posts are long and interesting. My posts are short and boring to tears.

Another reason I am ashamed is because I wrote only one (or two) posts about the Nicaragua Segovia and none at all about the Guatamalan Estate bean I got at the World Market. Or maybe I did. My memory fails me at the moment.

Let me talk about the Guatamalan (and no, my memory is indicating that I had not written about it). I discovered a wonderful store in a very large strip mall. This store is a bastard child of Peir One Imports and a gourmet food and wine shop. And it's very large. And it's right next door to the Dress Barn. On the back wall, in the international food and wine section, is a whole wall of coffee. Reluctant to go to Starbucks in order to buy exotic beans, I have found a mine of silver (not really gold since they aren't that diverse -- the only pacific rim coffee I saw was Kona. Cheap Kona). Since starting with the Colombian Dark Roast, I have decided to fully explore south and central American coffees before I move on to Africa (with the exception of the 7oz of pure Hawaiian Kona my parents are bringing back to me from Oahu). I mentioned the Nicaragua Segovia, a cup that left a nasty taste in my mouth for days. That's all I can say about Nicaragua Segovia.

I picked up, after some debate with Mother, since she has enthusiastically offered herself as a guine pig in my coffee experiment, some Guatamala Estate beans. I was debating between that and Costa Rican Terrazu (check my spelling since I may be wrong) and decided on Guatamala, since it seems more rare than Costa Rican coffee. My first brew was ambrosia. The coffee is smooth and warm and chocolaty. I loved it. Mother, on the other hand, thought it tasted faintly like cat piss. She loved the Nicaraguan. I find it scientifically fascinating that our preferences are different. And a bit offended she said that it tasted like cat piss.

I drank a pound of it in a week. I'm starting to become thoroughly addicted to coffee, a fact that came upon me as I exited my summer Algebra class at the community college. With Mother and Dad vacationing in Hawaii this week, I have the freedom to walk around my house naked and eat all the junk food I want, since Mother and Dad prefer a mostly vegan diet (with Mom's exception to my coffee experiment). Independence Day was spent watching a Project Runway marathon on the couch and I didn't budge from that position all day. I didn't even make coffee. My body was screaming fatigue to me and all I wanted to do was be sentient. With out my coffee, though, I grew *irregular*, munched snacks, eclairs, ice cream, and 2 of my frozen diet dinners, and generally binged on junk. I also was slow, stupid and lazy. The day closed and I woke up the next morning to responsibilities, namely acing my Algebra class. I made myself a pot, drank a cup, and bounded off to the college two hours early to study. I noticed that I was a more willing smile flasher, was nice-nice to everyone, sucked up to teachers, and annoyed the crap out of mine by answering all his questions before he finished them. Coffee gives me energy, moves my bowels (which will not want to move -- a result of my brain tumor), and diminishes my apitite. Basically, I am physically addicted.

I really liked the Guatamalan bean, but don't think I will purchase it regularly. It's a pain to get to the World Market. It's not like it's a store you can pop in and out. I would have to spend an entire afternoon for a coffee errand. As much as I liked the chocolaty (or cat piss) cup, I think I'll go for a more convenient bean.

I've gotten a new bean since the Guatamala Estate and switched to half and half. But that's for my next post. And I promise it will be sonner than a month.

I also want to complain about my grinder. That will be in the post, too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The right spelling of the coffee growing region is Tarrazu, with an a, not an e.

The equivalent of buying a Preda handbag :)

Rgds

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counters